Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I didn't know there were studying going on about teaching english as almost a second language to english. I like that she doesn't want to take away there dialect but I find that in some occupations if your dialect is broken english or messing up simple subject verb agreement it acts as a handicap. Also in teaching, I think you should model good English language usage thats is the way we learn. I would love too see this study drawn out to where students don't lose themselves but use better professional conversation speech since it already started in just a year. "Many who speak it say they are proud of their cultural heritage, yet they are aware of the stigma surrounding their home speech or "speech of comfort." ' I find this interesting I would think if there is something that you are aware of that is making life harder for the next generation based on bias you would try to correct it. I speak to my family and close friends differently than I do a professor and stranger. As you may know, we speak differently to groups for example friends versus co-workers, that's just human nature so children should be aware of it. I wouldn't speak to a professional the way I speak to my family because I have been taught better. I know who I am just know I have more than one or two dimensions to me. I think of the saying "It's imporant to know where you come from but you have to be prepared for where your going."
I am from fairmont so there's not to much diversity we all speak the same way but in high school we got two foreign exchange students. It was so "weird" and cool everone wanted to know there language and speak to them so they were paired up alot and they by speaking to other their broken english became more fluent and the other student learned their language and their culture. It was really a successful experience for everyone who was part of it.
Her approach was not to tell the students they were wrong but teach them a different way. By doing that, the student learned so much better and probably were more open to the experience.

Text a new english dialect?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the connection to texting as another English dialect!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Virginia
My name is Renita. I am a senior at Fairmont State University. I am very excited this year. There is so much going on in my life. One big thing being graduating in December.